Why Do You Need an Atlanta Premises Liability Attorney?
Individuals deserve safe premises in which to live, work, and shop. If you’ve been injured due to a property owner’s negligence in maintaining security or safety, a lawsuit may be your best course of action for justice and accountability.
Handling the complex legal landscape surrounding premises liability claims requires experience and a deep understanding of Georgia’s laws. Whether you or a loved one has suffered an injury on someone else’s property, having a knowledgeable attorney by your side is paramount.
In the following sections, we will delve into the nuances of premises liability law, shedding light on the responsibilities of property owners, the types of incidents covered, and the potential legal implications. Discover the pivotal role an Atlanta premises liability attorney plays in safeguarding your rights, negotiating on your behalf, and, if necessary, representing you in court.
Don’t let uncertainty surround your premises liability case. Contact Fried Goldberg in Atlanta by calling (877) 591-1801 to understand your legal options in securing funds for medical bills, lost wages, or other forms of damages. Choosing the right attorney can make all the difference in achieving a fair and just resolution — let our team help you through this difficult time.
Definition — What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability refers to the legal responsibility of property owners or occupiers to maintain a safe environment. If someone is injured due to negligent property maintenance, the injured party may have grounds to file a premises liability claim.
What Kind of Compensation Can an Atlanta Premises Liability Lawsuit Secure?
An Atlanta premises liability lawsuit can secure various types of compensation to address the damages and losses suffered by the injured party.
Here are some common types of compensation that may be sought in a premises liability lawsuit:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation may cover current and future medical costs related to the personal injuries sustained on the premises. Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage especially can have long-lasting costs. Medical-related funds can help cover hospital bills, surgeries, rehabilitation, prescription medications, and any necessary mobility equipment.
- Lost Wages: If the injuries result in missed work or a diminished earning capacity, the injured party may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. This can include both current and future income that you would have earned if not for the injury.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages, such as physical pain, emotional distress, and a reduced quality of life, may be considered in the compensation awarded. These damages are more subjective and aim to address the intangible consequences of the injury like anxiety and depression symptoms.
- Property Damage: In some cases, premises liability incidents may lead to damage to personal property of your home or vehicle. Compensation may be sought for the repair or replacement of items affected by the incident.
- Wrongful Death Damages: In the unfortunate event of a fatality on the premises, surviving family members may pursue compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and the emotional toll of losing a loved one.
It’s important to note that the specific compensation awarded in a premises liability case can vary based on the unique circumstances of each situation.
An experienced Atlanta premises liability attorney can assess the details of the case, determine the appropriate types of compensation to pursue, and advocate for the injured party’s rights throughout the legal process.
What Are the Most Common Georgia Premises Liability Lawsuits?
Premises liability lawsuits in Georgia can arise from a variety of situations where a property owner’s negligence leads to injuries or harm suffered by visitors or guests.
Some of the most common premises liability lawsuits in Georgia include:
- Slip/Trip and Fall Accidents: These occur when someone slips, trips, or falls due to hazardous conditions on a property, such as wet floors, uneven surfaces, or poorly maintained walkways. Tripping over obstacles or hazards on a property, such as loose wires, clutter, or uneven flooring, can cause severe injury. Such hazards contribute to over 8 million hospital emergency room visits each year.
- Negligent Maintenance: Failure to maintain a residential or workplace property in a safe condition can lead to various accidents, such as collapsing structures, falling objects, or electrical hazards.
- Elevator and Escalator Accidents: Premises liability cases may result from accidents involving elevators or escalators due to improper maintenance, defects, or lack of warning signs.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: Property owners with swimming pools have a responsibility to maintain a safe environment. Accidents may occur due to inadequate fencing, lack of proper signage, or negligent supervision.
- Retail Store Accidents: Customers injured in retail stores due to unsafe conditions, such as spills, obstructions, or merchandise falling from shelves, may file premises liability claims.
- Toxic Exposure: Property owners may be held responsible for injuries resulting from exposure to toxic substances, such as mold, lead paint, or other hazardous materials.
It’s important to note that the success of a premises liability claim depends on establishing that the property owner was negligent in maintaining a safe environment and that this negligence directly led to the injuries.
If you believe you have a premises liability case, consulting with an experienced attorney in Georgia can help you understand your rights and pursue appropriate legal action.
What Does an Atlanta Premises Liability Lawyer Do For Your Case?
Here are some key functions that an Atlanta premises liability lawyer performs for your case:
- Investigation: Lawyers conduct thorough investigations to gather evidence supporting your premises liability claim. This may involve obtaining surveillance footage, interviewing witnesses, collecting relevant documents, and consulting with experts when necessary.
- Establishing Negligence: To build a successful premises liability case, your attorney will work to establish that the property owner or occupier was negligent in maintaining a safe environment. This involves proving that the property owner knew or should have known about the hazardous conditions and failed to address them.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Premises liability cases often involve dealing with insurance companies. Your attorney will handle communications with insurers, negotiate on your behalf, and work to secure a fair settlement that adequately compensates you for your injuries and damages.
- Filing Lawsuit Documents: Legal procedures involve filing various documents, including complaints, motions, and responses. Your lawyer will ensure that all necessary paperwork is filed correctly and within the required timeframes.
- Representation in Court: If a settlement cannot be reached, your premises liability lawyer will represent you in court. They will present your case, argue on your behalf, and advocate for your rights during the litigation process.
By hiring an experienced Atlanta premises liability lawyer, you gain an advocate who understands the nuances of Georgia’s premises liability laws. This allows you to focus on your recovery while they handle the legal complexities associated with your case.
Contact a Proven Atlanta Premises Liability Law Firm
When faced with the aftermath of a premises liability incident in Atlanta, seeking the assistance of a proven law firm is crucial. The complexities of Georgia’s premises liability laws demand the practical knowledge of attorneys who have achieved successful results.
Why Hire Fried Goldberg
By contacting a skilled Atlanta premises liability lawyer from Fried Goldberg, you not only gain an advocate committed to securing your rights, but also benefit from the years of experience and resources necessary to build a robust case.
Whether negotiating with insurers, conducting thorough investigations, or representing you in court, our dedicated legal team can make a significant difference in the outcome of your claim.
Atlanta Premises Liability FAQs
What are common examples of premises liability incidents?
Common examples include slip and fall accidents, inadequate security leading to assaults, dog bites, elevator/escalator accidents, and accidents in swimming pools. Any injury resulting from unsafe conditions on someone else’s property may qualify.
How do I prove negligence in a premises liability case?
Your lawyer goes about proving negligence by demonstrating that the property owner knew or should have known about the hazardous condition and failed to address it. We then show that this negligence directly led to your injuries, and request fair compensation for the cost of those injuries.
Should I speak with the property owner's insurance company without a lawyer?
It is not advisable to speak with the insurance company before consulting a premises liability attorney. Insurance adjusters may use your statements against you, and an attorney can help protect your rights and guide you through the process.
How long do I have to file a premises liability lawsuit in Atlanta?
The Truck Accident Attorneys
The Truck Accident Attorneys at Fried Goldberg LLC devote at least 75% of their caseload to representing the victims of accidents involving tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. Our extensive experience with the laws governing the trucking industry is the reason we are routinely successful at taking on trucking companies when someone is seriously injured.
Get a Free Case Evaluation
The Truck Accident Attorneys
The Truck Accident Attorneys at Fried Goldberg LLC devote at least 95% of their caseload to representing the victims of accidents involving tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. Our extensive experience with the laws governing the trucking industry is the reason we are routinely successful at taking on trucking companies when someone is seriously injured.
Table of Contents
Get a Free Case Evaluation
Use the form to send your message to a lawyer at our firm. One of our experienced attorneys is prepared to speak with you. Consultations are free and confidential.
Get a Free Case Evaluation
"*" indicates required fields
Our experienced attorneys have represented individuals who have been seriously injured. We are proud of the outstanding reputation we have within our industry and our track record of success, which sets us apart. In particular, we have recovered nearly $1 billion for our clients throughout the country.